Monday, December 12, 2011

Marissa's Holiday Gift Guide

We apologize that the Toasted Team has been a little behind on our investigative assignments to research and report on just how super the superficial really is.  Any busy gal knows how hectic the month of December can be with all the gift-shopping, stocking-filling, cookie-baking, tree-trimming, gift-wrapping and party-attending in one's sparkliest clothes.  
I face an additional challenge to this multi-tasking when you factor in what I call "a great eye" and my bank account calls "selfishness." See, I love shopping for gifts for others, but I also love shopping for myself and it is difficult to separate the two. If I pose it as a word problem, it would be, "A lady goes shopping and has six shopping bags. Each bag contains one present. How many presents will be under the tree Christmas morning?" (The answer is 3.) 

I channeled this bad habit into your very own Marissa-approved holiday gift guide - perfect for any savvy, Toasty-type girl on your list this year.  Misteltoe-results guaranteed.




one / Postal correspondence may seem outdated in the era of e-vites, but sending and receiving handwritten stationary makes an impression. Mailboxes (actual and virtual) are generally containers for grim things like bills and junk mail, so printed cards/letters/invitations are an always-appreciated way to express yourself with style. Also, anyone who doesn’t send thank you notes has the manners of a barn animal. 

two / It is not uncommon for me to grab a friend’s manicured hands and guess the polish name (“You Don’t Know Jacques? No, no, it's Over the Taupe!”) Is anything better than an OPI pun? Possibly OPI holiday puns. Pictured above is “Baby it’s Coal Outside.” 

three / I spend 75% of my time at home wearing a bathrobe. Find me one person that doesn’t like to be swaddled in casual luxury.

four / If you abide by the Jackie Petri School of Dressing for Funerals, accessories are a great way to include the occasional color and print. Carrying a clutch for an evening is essentially committing to holding a large mailer envelope for hours. This is an act of strap-less sacrifice that says "special occasion." 

five / No need to keep your pretty bottles hidden away in a cupboard. Barware is an often-overlooked area to showcase your style when entertaining or just as a décor piece. One of my greatest dreams is to one day own a fabulous brass mid-century bar cart like a James Bond villainess.

six / I am on the welcoming committee of rose gold’s return. The jewelry trend that bridges silver and gold with unexpected warmth is best executed with a chunky menswear-inspired watch.  

seven / You can surrender to vices without sacrificing style. 

eight / Jonathan Adler slays me. He's a genius of creating stylish, witty designs that I consider quintessentially LA (If I worked for OPI, I would call his style "Tongue in Chic.") Like this jar to hold your eyelashes or the other less guest room-friendly canisters labeled for your Ambien, Quaaludes, Uppers and Carbs.

nine / I should probably be more concerned that Mindy Kaling has followed the five of us, eavesdropped on our conversations and published them in a book.  Kaling’s observations on romance and friendship and her stories about making it in Hollywood make for great light holiday reading. 

ten / A big sunhat is a glimmer of hope amidst the LA Winter (where temperatures can often get down to sixty-degrees.)  Everybody likes an accessory that says "constant vacation." 

eleven / This Sophomore shirt embodies our collective upbringing. Not giftable for naysayers that throw shade on 818 childhoods. 


Hope you enjoyed my guide and happy holidays!
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment