Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DWD: Drinking While Dieting

Take my carbs, take my sugars, but for the love of God DON’T TAKE MY VODKA!

Hello, my name is Jackie and I’m a crash dieter. South Beach, Atkins, Weight Watchers, Cookie Diet, Lindora; you name it, I’ve tried it!  I know what to eat, how to eat, and when to eat it –  I’ve mastered all that.  The one thing I have yet to master is cutting my alcohol.  While some may call this a “drinking problem,” I call it a social life.  I enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner, a cocktail with friends, and a whiskey keg after a bad day, but I know in order to stay fit, these are the things I have to get in check.  So as a girl who always likes to bend the rules, I present to you my TOP 5 Helpful Hints for drinking while dieting!

1.)    Wine always wins!  Wine (Red or White) tends to have the least amount of calories per ounce when compared to beer or hard liquor as long as you don’t overdo it a la Ramona Singer - moderation is always key!

2.)    Stick to the clear liquors – Vodka, Gin, etc.  These “pure” varieties tend to have fewer calories and no carbs.

3.)    My secret weapon:  Vodka & Crystal Light – I like to keep Crystal Light On-The-Go packets in my purse in general, but they really come in handy when you’re out having a drink.  Order a vodka with a splash of water at the bar and mix in a crystal light OTG packet.  At 5 Calories / O Carbs / O Fat per packet, it’s a better mixer than anything the bar has to offer.

4.)    Always be prepared for the drunk munchies!  If you’re gonna drink, keep a healthy snack handy.  I like to keep Atkins bars in my kitchen or in my purse if I know I’m going to be having more than a drink or 2.  This way, when I’m stumbling into my cab at the end of the night demanding hot dogs from the street vendor, I can grab a protein bar instead and thank myself the next morning!

Say NO to late night sweets!

5.)    Set a limit!  If you are heading to a bar, limit yourself in advance.  Plan out how many drinks you want to have and bring the exact amount of cash for only this.  Leave the credit cards at home!

I wish you the best of luck with these tips during the holiday season my skinny little readers and I leave you with this last thought to ponder….

If we drink with the lights off where no one can see, do the calories still count?

2 comments:

New Jen said...

If we drink with the lights off where no one can see, then we're not drinking at all!

marissa (stylebook) said...

his face in #4 is puh-rice-less.

Post a Comment