Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Sitcom Named ______

How the WB Brought Down my First Assignment

Before I jump into my first entry, let me give you all some background information on the grave condition I suffer from. My lameofilmocitis has worsened as an occupational hazard of living in LA and having a typically LA job in the film industry. To clarify, I see the unmagical work that goes into creating all the pretty commercials, music videos and movies you see before they are transmitted to your living room.  Because I am familiar with the unfinished product (dailies, cameras, bad attitudes) I have lost the “suspension of disbelief” that allows people like Ashley and Kellie to enjoy Twilight. I, for example, would watch a scene and be imagining the script notes, “We see Bella struggle to articulate, biting her lip with pained hesitation as she runs her hands through her unwashed hair.”
Basically, I am borderline paranoid that life really is The Truman Show. And so I was clearly a perfect candidate for a sitcom focus group.  

On Saturday, a friend of my fiancĂ© invited us to a screening of a sitcom he had worked on developing. We drove to Warner Brothers Studios, which is a sprawling compound of building and sets, star wagons and golf carts.  Somewhere past Conan (swoon) and Ellen, we missed the turn denoted on the highlighted printout map given to us at the security kiosk. We accidentally drove on to find ourselves in an idyllic suburb of stately two-story homes. For a moment, we wondered if we had gone too far and were now in a Burbank neighborhood with a great school district. Then we saw an illuminated EXIT sign through one of the home’s windows followed by the more glaring clue of a “Hart of Dixie” banner above the front door. Truman show, take one.


Upon arrival we were handed clipboards and were told to sign required non-disclosure agreement that forbade us from releasing any information about the show to a third-party. This is where my entry goes from being an “inside scoop” on how a TV shows come to fruition and becomes an entry where I blog about the worst possible conditions for a blogger to blog. 
I signed away my first amendment rights with a sad-looking signature thinking, “I bet this never happens to Diane Sawyer.” We were then herded into a bungalow crammed with rows of chairs. The lights dimmed and the show began. A show of secrets that I will never speak of.

After the half-hour, questionnaire packets were passed around and of course, the phenomenon of my entire academic career transpired: I, out of the twenty people seated, was the one stuck with the stack of extras.
I shielded my clipboard so cheaters wouldn’t know the answers to my favorite scenes nor my age, ethnicity and favorite tv shows.  After gathering the surveys, a producer (a former child actor of a classic American holiday movie) asked us our reaction to the plot and characters.  I figured everyone would be placid and polite and was surprised at how vocal the group was about their likes and dislikes, and the discussions that spawned from there. This segued into a bigger debate about the show’s racial overtones that could be considered an edgy brand of comedy for a network sitcom.  Some in the audience were very blunt about their agreement with the show’s portrayals of stereotypes and were interrupted at the exact moments where their comment teetered on the border of ethnocentrism. 
It was a Larry David moment without the humor and I could not deal with the tension. Instead I became fixated on my suddenly interesting cuticles wondering how long I would last if a hypothetical race riot broke out.

We were thanked and shown out of the bungalow, where I was compensated with a free water bottle (the importance we place on water bottles makes me wonder if outsiders are imagining LA as a desert wasteland without irrigation. Please don’t assume that I spent the rainy weekend making a filtration system out of palm tree leaves.)

Closing Notes: I may now join Reporters Without Borders. Down with censorship!


Your faithful correspondent, 
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment